Sunday, August 28, 2011

Freezers, Doorways and Silver Linings

My freezer died.

Yes, I know... it's something we'll all have to deal with at some time in our lives. But, the freezer is the appliance that we probably take for granted the most - until it dies. And, of course, they never seem to cark it when they're empty.


So, in the midst of my freezer grief I had to decide if:

  • I'd live without one (tempting until I remembered the wonderful berry sorbets we made last summer)
  • Get a chest freezer (better for tall people)
  • Get an identical upright freezer to match the fridge (and then, no doubt, watch the fridge die a year later)
  • Get a fridge and freezer in one unit and retire the old fridge to the shed for parties (this was the winner).

After parting with a hefty sum of money, I took delivery of a space-age, stainless steel, side by side, fridge/freezer. Totally gorgeous and swish and... too big to fit through the doorway into the lean-to kitchen. 


Apparently when they were building houses 130 years ago they didn't consider refrigerators... who knew?!


So, after much squishing, squeezing and a decent dose of lateral thinking the delivery guy and I gave up. Now we're back to the fridge and freezer being tucked away in what is currently the dining room, waiting for the time that the room is renovated and becomes the kitchen. Which is exactly where the fridge and freezer were before the temporary kitchen was constructed.


The silver lining though, is this: I am now fully committed to getting the next stage of the renovations started. That means, saving in earnest AND expanding my means. The most shocking bit of all? I'm actually excited about it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment