Sunday, October 17, 2010

Kitchen Frugalista - Baking Powder


If you’re serious about eating well and saving money then making it yourself is the only way to go. The added benefit is that you can also avoid a lot of unnecessary ‘ingredients’ in the process. A perfect example of this is baking powder.

When you’re baking from scratch you have the option of using either self-raising flour or plain flour plus a raising agent such as baking powder.

Generally, I just buy plain flour. It saves confusion and means I don’t have to label the flour jar. I used to buy the commercially prepared baking powder but now I make my own.

The recipe is simple:

1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon Rice Flour


I usually make up enough for a small jar so I use larger measures but the same ratios.

¼ cup Baking Soda
½ cup Cream of Tartar
¼ cup of rice flour

Push the mixture through a sieve to ensure there are no lumps and that the ingredients are evenly mixed.

Transfer to an air-tight container or jar.


Cheap and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment