Saturday, February 5, 2011

Treats that Nourish Body and Soul

One of my favourite treats is 'salty maple syrup almonds', you can find the recipe here. It was pure serendipity that brought these treats into my world.


I love almonds, but they don't love me. Each time I ate them: raw, roasted, scorched, it didn't matter, I felt worse. I wasn't about to give up though so I did some research and discovered that soaking nuts (and seeds) makes them far more digestible by:

  • Neutralising the natural enzyme inhibitors in the nut
  • Enabling the body to absorb more vitamins
  • Breaking down the gluten so digestion is much easier, and
  • Reducing phytic acid, which inhibits the absorption of vital minerals.
I'm a fussy soul though, and I wanted the almonds to be full of flavour. That's how Salty Maple Syrup Almonds were created. And, not only are they very tasty, they're also full of vitamins and minerals. Just make sure you use real maple syrup and preferably Celtic salt as these ingredients are packed with nutrients, too.


They take a little while to roast so I usually have them in the oven while I'm also baking other things. 


Try them, and let me know what you think.

1 comment: